Monday, July 27, 2009

Wind River Mission Camp - Day 2


Rising in the rain we headed out after a substantial breakfast at St. David’s, Shoshone Mission, for work detail at St. Andrew’s in the mountains at Atlantic City forty miles away. We painted, we chinked, we scrubbed, we layed out a labyrinth and a stations of the cross and we built a railing for the back steps of the parish hall. We ate lunch and we were impressed with the condition of St. Andrew’s. We showered at the community center back on the Shoshone Reservation and ate delicious fry bread at St. David’s. After dinner we heard John Washakie speak on Shoshone history and Manfred Guina tell traditional stories. Audrey Ward taught us bead work and we watched a video on the Indian and government schools of the 19th Century under the Reverend John Roberts and others.

Cierra Johnson, age 12, from Dubois, “I like the program. It’s helping me learn more about God and meeting new people and new friends.”

Anna Hoffman, age 14, from Douglas, “I’m having fun. I like learning about different cultures and my heritage.”

Shilo Barnes, age 14, from Douglas, “This is probably the best thing I’ve done this summer. I enjoyed learning about God, different cultures and working with people and meeting new friends”

Stephen Hansen, age 15, from Dubois, “HR Camp is probably one of the best ways I have sent a summer. The program varies from rock climbing to whitewater rafting. It is a chance to meet great people, and create awesome friendships.”

Katherine Finley, age 14, from Dubois, “I’m so happy I went to HR Camp. I have done things here I have never done before. It has been an exciting experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment