Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 2 of Wyoming Wilderness Middler I & II Camp

The opening of the day consists of waking up to the bell. This takes place around 7am. The kids begin to get dress, move about, get ready for breakfast. They all gather around the fire pit for the "morning watch." The Morning Watch is designed for kids to watch for God throughout the day. This morning's watch was about seeing God's seeds throughout the day. We all ate outside because the weather was beautiful.

After breakfast all the kids worked on their morning chores. Each program group have different tasks to get prepared for the day. Details are cleaning the grounds, the dinning hall, and shower house. This is a group building exercise and the kids learn how to work together with new people. This year, the camp have about 50% of the kids returning and so they are able to show others how to get things done. After details are completed they return to the fire pit to get their morning programs. This year they had Stewardship (taking care of God's creation); Low ropes (problem solving as a group as they are faced with different challenges); Arts and Crafts (creation); and Hike and Lunch (being in nature).

I went along with the hike. The kids were great. Pat noted that they didn't complain once and trooped right along. We looked around. Discovered that some of the people before us didn't always pick up their stuff and left items like wood piles, a broken down pick-up truck, and a cement mixer that was on a back of a truck. Pat discovered an old two man saw that most likely was used by Hank Raymond back in the day.

After lunch I sat down with "Aspen" and we planned out our chapel service. This is the results of our work together:

Kambria (John) – What a trip! The people are coming out of the woodwork and we cannot get away from them!

Francesca (Peter) – I know I didn’t think following Jesus could be such a blast! Every time we turn around more people are coming to listen. Hey. It is time to get out of the boat.

Kambria (John) – Here we go again. More people!

Cassie (Jesus) – Ok folks. It is time to exit the boat. Please locate your exit buddy and step out of the boat on the right or starboard side. Thank you.

Katie (James) – Just like my brother. Directing traffic and almost forgot me. Hey Jesus, you are my exit buddy.

Cassie (Jesus) – Ok, lets go.

Brittany (Jairus) – Jesus! I have heard that you are a man of great talent! You can heal the sick. You can teach even the most stubborn of people. Can you please, please heal my daughter?

Cassie (Jesus) – I would love to help out. Lead on my new friend.

Kailyn (crowd) – This I got to see. This guy waltz in here and he is going to turn things upside down. I am going to watch this guy closely.

Elizabeth (crowd) – Hey where are you going?

Katie (James) – My brother here is going to heal a little girl.

Elizabeth (crowd) – Can I come along?

Kailyn (crowd) – Sure. Follow me I know the way.

Madine (the woman who wants to touch Jesus) – Hum. This guy Jesus is known for healing. Now if I can only get close to the guy! (reaching out) Ok I am almost there. Closer, closer, closer (touching Jesus) Done! I did it!

Cassie (Jesus) – Hey something just happened. I felt power leave me. Who touched me?

Katie (James) – Hey bro, everybody is touching you!

Kambria (John) – I think you fell off your rocker Jesus. Look around you, there is a large crowd. It seems like you draw one every time.

Francesca (Peter) – Doesn’t he always.

Cassie (Jesus) – Sorry guys I am not moving until I find out who touched me.

Brittany (Jairus) – Jesus, I don’t want to be rude, but can we get moving? My daughter is not feeling well.

Grace (daughter) – (from off “stage”) Oh my head. My body is hot. My world is spinning. My world is becoming dark. What is happening? Dad! Where are you?

Cassie (Jesus) – Sorry I am not moving until I discover who touched me.

Madine (the woman) – Well I don’t want to hold everybody up. (addressing Jesus) It was me.

Cassie (Jesus) – Because of your faith and willingness to try you have been made whole. May your faith continue to guide you. I know that God my Father will bless you. Be well my friend.

Grace (daughter) – Wow, I see a light. I think I will move toward it.

Kailyn (crowd) – Oh no. That is not good.

Elizabeth (crowd) – Well that takes care of that. The little girl is no longer with the living.

Brittany (Dad) – Great. My daughter has died. Talk about making different plans. I got to hire professional wailers and grievers. Boy I was not prepared for that.

Cassie (Jesus) – {addressing Brittany} don’t worry. Have faith and all shall work out.

Katie (James) – Well here we are. We are now at the house of the little girl.

Kambria (John) – Yup. A large crowd.

Francesca (Peter) – Ok Jesus here we are. What next? Oh by the way you can’t touch a dead body or I am going to have to disassociate from you for a while.

Brittany (Dad) – Well Jesus we have arrived. Is there anything you can do? I am really sorry for this outturn of events.

Cassie (Jesus) – Don’t worry. All things of faith will work out. Oh folks everybody needs to clear out of here except James, John, and Peter and this little girl’s parents.

Elizabeth (crowd) – What! I pushed hard and worked hard to get front roll seats and now Jesus is telling me to get lost. Talk about frustration!

Kailyn (crowd) – Let’s pretend to leave and sneak around the side and look through the window. I have a feeling this is going to be good.

Elizabeth (crowd) – Ok.

Cassie (Jesus) – {addressing Grace} Awake little girl.

Grace (daughter) – Oh …. Hey what is going on around here? I was moving toward a bright light and now I find myself in my house. And I am sure hungry.

Cassie (Jesus) – {addressing Brittany} Give your daughter something to eat. See you faith in God has made your daughter whole and alive.

Brittany (Dad) – Thank you Jesus.

Katie (James) – That is my brother. Healing the sick.

Kambria (John) – Do you think the crowd will now leave? No way!

Francesca (Peter) – Jesus is the man! This is fun!

Elizabeth (crowd) – See I knew this was going to be good.

Kailyn (crowd) – You were right. Faith is the seeds of life.

Prayers –

Cassie – God we ask for seeds for bravery

God hear our prayer.

Katie – God we ask for seeds for fun to be planted tonight.

God hear our prayer.

Brittany – God we ask for seeds of a bright future.

God hear our prayer.

Kambria – God we ask for seeds of noble attitude to grow.

God hear our prayer.

Francesca – God we ask for the seeds of hope to find good soil.

God hear our prayer.

Grace – God we ask for seeds of excitement to continue to grow among us.

God hear our prayer.

Madine – God we ask for seeds of friendships to be sown tonight.

God hear our prayer.

Elizabeth – God we ask for seeds for fearlessness be planted with us.

God hear our prayer.






The morning watch around the fire pit.



Taking some time to journal on the hike.



The web of life. When one animal or part of the environment fails slowly the web fails and falls. Good exercise to pay attention to God's Creation.


Playing before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment